Official Thread: Rate My Team

Home Forums The Hoop Ball Fantasy Hoops Forum Official Thread: Rate My Team

• Author

Dan Besbris
    Keymaster

The SMASH HIT forum thread is back for 2019!

Post your team below, and the saucy @santinocaccone (give him a follow for more fantasy notes on Twitter!) will break down your team’s strength and weaknesses going into the season!

• This topic was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Dan Besbris.

Santino Caccone

Hello all,

I know it’s a bit early, but if you’re like me, you’re chomping at the bit for next season, patiently waiting for your league’s draft to commence. Whether you’re new to fantasy basketball, or a veteran who’s been playing for a decade or more, it’s always fun to get some feedback on your team via multiple sources. At HoopBall we put our subscribers’ interests first and strive to give you the best fantasy bball advice around! Take advantage of all we have to offer and send in your teams whenever they are ready! Also as Dan said, you can message/DM me on twitter as well @santinocaccone and I will get back to you in a timely manner! Let’s get ready to ball out!

Coach
    Participant

Hi Santino! So excited that you will be taking on this role! This is going to be awesome for our HoopBallers!!!

Here is my squad (The King and His Court) in the very competitive HoopBall Dynasty 3 League. It’s a 20 team, 9 cat league.

Kyle Lowry
    Goran Dragic
    Bojan Bogdanovic
    LeBron James
    Kristaps Porzingis
    Tobias Harris
    Paul Millsap
    Rui Hachimura
    Bruce Brown Jr.
    Justin Jackson
    Kenrich Williams
    Alfonzo McKinnie
    Bobby Portis
    Damyean Dotson
    Brandon Ingram
    Ignas Brazdeikis

Thanks!!
    Coach

Santino Caccone

Hey Coach! Let me start by saying if you’re not familiar with him yet, you will be soon! Coach is the host, along with Mike Apotria, of our new DFS podcast! These two masters of their craft will be offering unrivaled advice every day throughout the season! Check out their first two shows in the link here:
      HoopBall DFS

Hitting me with a tough one right off the bat, I like it. 20 team dynasty league is intense, and I’m sure on-paper none look like rockstars. I’d like to see how this team stacks up to some others.

The guards are not the greatest with Dragic and Lowry leading the way. Lowry is in line to get more usage this season with Leanord and Green departing. With a better supporting cast and better luck in the health department, Dragic should return to his previous levels. Whether he starts or comes off the bench has yet to be determined, but his numbers were fairly consistent with his career norms, when he was in the lineup, outside of his second-worst year shooting (the rookie year was the worst). I expect that to revert to the norm with health. Out of them, Dotson is talented, but his role is uncertain right now with Barret there. Brown is a sleeper and one that I am notably higher on than most. He had a fantastic Summer League running PG, and even if he doesn’t handle the ball in the regular season, it would be a huge bonus if he does, I am still intrigued by his skillset. In under 20 minutes as a raw rookie, he averaged .5 steals and .5 blocks. If he gets 30 or so minutes this year, I wouldn’t be shocked if he hovered around one each. Throw in a more consistent shot, and he could push for close to a three a game. It’s rare to find players that can provide that kind of statistical diversity and he is a name to keep an eye on.

The forwards and big men are where this team makes its money. LeBron is a fantasy anchor regardless of the format. Bojan and Ingram will play their part on playoff-contending teams while Harris will play his on a championship hopeful. JJax is starting and so will McKinnie until Klay is back, and Ignas has a lot of potential. The Unicorn coming back off injury and playing with Doncic will be so much fun to watch for years to come. The Wizards are going to let Hachimura (side note, I know I’m going to get his name wrong many times this year) play through the ups and downs all year. Millsap is the epitome of underrated, consistent fantasy/real-life asset. And then there’s Portis who’s role is up in the air, but should see 20+ backup big man minutes a night.

Blocks and field goal percentage are going to be tough for this team to win on, but the rest are pretty solid with multiple well-rounded players on the roster. Down the road maybe it’ll be different, but when you put it into perspective that there are 320 owned players in this league and only 360 active players on a full-slate game-day roster, it’s hard to fathom how this team came into play. But then again Coach is an expert at his craft and knows the game like few others do.

Righto-5-O
    Participant

Hi Santino

Just picked up a second hand team in an existing league to compete in a 12 team roto 9 cat 7 player keeper league. Get 2nd round pick in the draft.

Players below with a K next to the keepers.

Was unsure whether to drop love for possible trade value if he gets back to his old self?

D Booker K
    M Turner K
    N Vucevic K
    B Simmons K
    K Love
    T Harris K
    Nance jr
    J Randle K
    SGA K
    N Batum
    N Noel
    A Wiggins
    J Hart
    F nikilitina

Santino Caccone

Hey man glad to hear from you! Let’s start out by saying that you’re inheriting a pretty solid roster. A lot of times people take over teams from members who quit mid-season the year prior and are left with a reclamation project, but those top four are a great foundation. I do have to ask though, when you say 2nd round pick did you mean the 2nd pick in the draft or that you don’t pick until the 2nd round of the draft? Did you trade away your first pick to acquire one of the above keepers?

Now about the keeper situation and the Love question, in particular, there are a few ways to look at it. You know your league-mates better than I do, so you’ll have a better idea of who you can potentially get back in the draft. Keep an ear out for any information on who might be available and make a few mocks from there. For now, I would stay patient on the last keeper spots and keep gathering info until rosters need to be locked in. Maybe offer a 2 for 1 deal and fix the problem that way. If your draft is at the end of the preseason or in a month or so, you’ll have more time to evaluate the current situations. The big four are no brainers, and SGA will keep your roster balanced and should be given the reigns in OKC sooner rather than later. When and if the time comes it’ll be a decision to keep two of those three forwards (Harris, Love, Randle). You have Randle coming off a career year as a sixth man and now with the Knicks where he should be one of the offensive focal points. He started shooting threes more last year and an improvement in that department would go a long way, and at 24, it’s certainly a possibility. Harris is on a stacked starting five where he’s set to move back to the 3 (when the team plays at full strength) after the addition of Horford. Harris made a big jump in rebounds, but that looks like it should fall back down now. Then there’s the man of the hour: Kevin Love. Love hasn’t played more than 60 games in either of the past three seasons. He’s the “elder” statesmen on a young team who isn’t likely to contend for a playoff spot which means a midseason trade is highly possible, if not likely. A few things come up with that; Could the team decide to curb his minutes to keep him healthy for a trade? Will the team play him regularly to showcase him for a trade? We do know that if Love is healthy, he’s the focal point of that offense and will be a usage hog. He also quietly averaged 17.6 points, 10.9 rebounds and 2.4 threes in the 22 games he played last year. If Love goes to a contender his role would change and his value could conceivably drop, but he’ll also be around more talented players, and he proved in the past that he is still valuable in that role.

All in all, while they’re not far off, if Love looks healthy this preseason he’d be my first choice of the three. His injury history is real and he has the lowest floor because of it, but the potential for 2+ treys and double-digit rebounds as the go-to scorer on a bad team is too enticing. For what is essentially a 6th/7th round pick in a redraft league, the higher ceiling guy is where I’d tend to go.

Coach
    Participant

Thanks Santino!! That is a tremendous and very helpful breakdown of my team! Great insight! I will be recommending you to the listeners on the HoopBall DFS & Box Score Breakdown podcasts! What a big plus for all the HoopBallers out there to utilize! Keep up the great work brother!

ameenkreidieh
    Participant

Hey Santino,

Amazing feedback so far on the above teams.

This is my 20 team 9 category h2h dynasty league team. All the win now guys were gone by the time i got my first pick so i had to go with the youth movement.

Trae Young
    Delon Wright
    Ja Morant
    Will Barton
    Al Horford
    Robert Williams
    Deandre Ayton
    Thomas Bryant
    Bruno Fernando
    Tomas Satoransky
    Aaron Holiday
    Shabazz Napier
    Bruce Brown Jr.
    Troy Brown
    Damyean Dotson
    Darius Garland

Santino Caccone

Thanks for submitting your team!

I’ll start off by saying that I am sorry to hear that, but in a 20 man league, it gets rough. I am personally not a fan of playing for the future in dynasty or keeper leagues. Going into a season not thinking or giving yourself the mindset of not winning a championship, is never my forte.I’m not a brave soul like yourself to take a season or two to rebuild. Now, if this was an NBA franchise and my favorite ex-GM Sam Hinkie was running the show, I’d be all for it. But I love winning fantasy too much to wait for something that could be.

With that said, and taking into consideration that you yourself are trying to win now but have an eye on the future, this team isn’t all that bad. While small point guards historically don’t win NBA championships (a few exceptions), they are fun to watch! Traening day (Hopefully it catches on) is one of my favorite players to watch ball out. There’s just something about him that makes me want to turn on a Hawks game. Since 2000 alone there has been more than a few top 3 picks that have busted, and it’s the reality of sports. But Ja Morant does not look like one. I am excited to see Morant take the reigns in Memphis. He has the potential to fill up a stat sheet from day one. That’s an exciting 1-2 punch in the backcourt, then you throw in Delon Wright, who has top-50 potential this year, and Darius Garland and this team has a bright future ahead at PG. I’m a big fan of Bruce Brown’s fantasy potential as I mentioned in a previous post and Satoransky is in a good position on a young Bulls’ squad.

The player pool dries up like the desert in a 20 man league, and I can see it got to the big men on this roster. There’s really not much to choose from but the few that you have, do offer upside. I like Ayton more than others and I see him continuing to improve this year. It’s not every day you get a rookie big man who averaged 16 and 10 with .9 blocks and .9 steals and gets looked over. Rubio will help get him easier looks this year and he’ll approach 20 ppg. Bryant enjoyed a breakout last year and after getting paid this offseason he’ll be returning as the unquestioned starter and ready to put up new career-high numbers. Fat Rob has the potential to go either way. He’s a bit of a wildcard and on a team like this, he’s perfect as you have to take these sorts of shots. Horford is Horford and is being undervalued moving back to his natural position and playing alongside Embiid and a stacked roster. Embiid is going to get his rest a lot, even when he’s not injured. His numbers should take a hit, but I don’t see the panic drop that others do. He’ll be fine and a guy you should look to move when you get a chance if you are out of the running.

20 man leagues are tougher to judge without looking at the rest of the league. All in all, this team has potential in a few years if you can add another piece or two, specifically some big men. Right now it’s not too bad but hard to see aking a playoff run. There are a few good building blocks and with some savvy moves, you’ll add some more. I hope the plan works out going forward!

ameenkreidieh
      Participant

Thanks Santino. yeah i will try to do some trades and try to compete. The major issue is that teams are either very heavy on competing now or they are building for future so there are no balanced team. this makes it tougher to compete too.

Anyway thanks for the deep analysis! cheers!

Santino Caccone

No problem! And yes, that’s the tricky thing about dynasties, trading is much harder. If that’s the case and quite a few others are playing for the future, you could sneak yourself in the playoffs on a rebuilding year. How many teams make it?

ameenkreidieh
      Participant

Only 8 teams out of the 20… ill keep you posted on how things go!

Thanks again.. will be posting my yearly leagues later in October!

Righto-5-O
    Participant

Thanks Santino, awesome detailed breakdown. Yeah sorry its 1st round 2nd pick.

facestars7
    Participant

Hi Santino

Awesome thread! 10 team 9Cat h2h with extra bench spot & 2IR
    I feel like I had a great draft after listening to a few podcasts. Larry Nance on waivers should I drop Rui and get him?

Irving
    Harden
    Butler
    Rui Hachi
    Bam Adebayo
    Trae Young
    Kelly Oubre
    Mike Conley
    Al Horford
    Brook Lopez
    JV
    Miles Bridges
    Delon Wright
    IR Covington
    IR M.Fultz

Looking forward to the feedback. Thanks

Santino Caccone

Hey man, this is sure to be one of the more relaxed team analysis’ I get this year. Ten team leagues are more productive and have a talented starting lineup with a good bench since ya know, fewer people are being drafted. With that said, this roster is stuffed throughout with people who were great value picks. I’m assuming the draft went something like Harden, Irving, Butler, Trae, Conley, Bam, Horford, JV, Lopez, Covington? If we’re to go by ADP alone, the first ten rounds are littered with value picks and players going past rounds past their expected ADP. Not everyone will be at their preseason ADP, but to be able to get guys later than they should be going continuously is a tremendous start and one that is needed to be a championship competitor.

The team is construction started extremely guard-heavy, and not having a stud big guy could come back to bite you. Though, you did a great job in getting ample value in rounds 6-10 on big men. Breaking down the team off of the nine categories, you can see this team being at or near the top in points, steals, threes, assists, and ft% each week. Or in shorter words 5/9 categories (a win) this team can dominate. Winning rebounding and blocks will be harder to come by, but there will be weeks in which you win, and others where you can win depending on how you play your roster and the waiver wire game. This team wasn’t built to win them every week, so being able to compete in some is a win in itself. With so many high usage guards, the team is sure to not be useful in turnover and fg% will be hard to win by as well. I wouldn’t take that as a bad thing. If there is one category I would want to be bad in its turnovers. 90% of the time it means you have a lot of high usage guys who have the ball in their hands. Which players are the best on their teams and in fantasy? High usage guys.

All in all, this is a top-tier team. I’d see if you can try to facilitate a trade for a big man anchor, but if not, then play to your strengths. Never get complacent and continue to scour the wire and the trade market. Also in regards to the Rui or Nance question, you can use another big rebounder, so I wouldn’t be opposed, though I do like Rui’s talent. As of right now, I don’t think it would matter who you picked up as Covington is set to come off that IR before the season, so if it’s between Nance and Rui for your last spot, then Covington trumps both anyway. Maybe for now keep who has the better trade value in the league and try to facilitate something that wat. I mean you somehow have Delon Wright as the last player on your team, a guy who can be a top 50 fantasy player this year, so it is extremely hard for a team like this to drop players. You should be able to make a few 2 for 1s with the amount of depth you have and continue to find value on the wire. Kudos to you for this draft!

Søren Nielsen
    Participant

Hi Santino,
    Great feature in here. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my 12 team 9-Cat H2H squad. I had the 6th pick overall.

Jokic
    Jrue Holiday
    Zion
    Buddy Hield
    Valanciunas
    Bledsoe
    Isaac
    Oubre
    Teague
    Dwight Powell
    Zach Collins
    Joe Harris
    Hachimura

I’m adapting to categories league from my home league (ESPN points), so I tried to focus less on points and rebounds, which are heavily favored in that format, and looked more for percentages and defensive stats instead. Maybe too much in that direction? Looking forward to your feedback.

Santino Caccone

Hey man, thanks for submitting! My strategy has me putting the most focus on rebounds, assists, and defensive stats. Whether a guy can shoot threes also factors in, but I put my least stock in points and percentages and none in turnovers. That’s just my preference. When I say that, I don’t mean I’m punting the other stats, I emphasize the others. And when I say points, it refers to the people who don’t contribute much outside of scoring and threes. Going with the defensive stats was a great move!

Your draft went well. This team should be remarkable in steals, and while you have no elite shot blockers, there are quite a few guys that will put up over 1 per game.

Holiday, Bledsoe, Teague, Harris, and Hield is a good set of guards. Holiday is a stud, and I’ve always been a fan of Bledsoe’s well-rounded production. No more Brogdon behind him is a good thing. A healthy Teague is the X-Factor of this group, and a return to health will make this a very good crop of guys. He’s a target I like in the later middle rounds for his assist/three/steal combination that comes with about 15+ points. I am not the biggest on Hield in fantasy, as I said earlier, I tend to avoid scorers for guys who can contribute the defensive and counting stats. That said, he fits well on this team. Ironically, Harris is a guy I would take later to help in threes while I pad my counting stats earlier.

Zion, Isaac, and Oubre is your money bracket as each of them can put up a steal, rebound and three per game with 5+ rebounds or so. Zion could push for a double-double in off the bat.

After the Joker, you held out on your next big guy, but JV is in position to finally fully break out this year. This makes for an excellent pairing in the frontcourt. Powell should benefit from playing next to the Unicorn. He’ll get less defensive pressure and more of an opportunity to bang down low. If he can get to around 30 mpg, he’ll be useful. Ideally, he’d be the fourth or fifth big on a team. I like both Collins and Rui this year. Both are in friendly positions with not much competition behind them and secure roles. They should both be given ample playing time, and in fantasy, that means everything, well except talent.

Overall, there are a few holes on the team. Blocks and significant man depth come to mind. While Joker makes a considerable difference, another pg would help as well. I can see you making the playoffs. The waiver and your involvement will be essential though, as drafting is step one. Good luck and let me know how everything goes. Don’t forget to tune into all the podcasts and articles we have to continue helping you along the way as new information rolls in and values change regularly.

tomboek
    Participant

Hi Santino,

This is my current squad for a 12 team 9 cat H2H league which i had pick 6 in.

Jrue Holiday
    Malcolm Brogdon
    Lebron James
    Draymond Green
    Deandre Ayton
    Kyle Lowry
    Otto Porter Jr
    Robert Covington
    Gordon Hayward
    Thomas Bryant
    Bam Adebayo
    Marcus Smart
    Larry Nance Jr

Looking forward to your reply! Thanks

Santino Caccone

Back-to-back ideal leagues (12 team 9 cat H2H) with the sixth pick overall? Interesting.

Wow! This team is loaded and ready to compete in every statistical category and a championship. I think you got a lot of guys below their market value. There is a lot of commonalities with popular players drafted here and in previous posts, but they came at a discount for you. I’d say don’t get complacent and continue to try and improve daily. I can’t tell if you’re league mates don’t like veterans or the young guns. Who went first Green or Ayton, Brogdon or Lowry? Either way, from where it looks like you got them that’s a tremendous value. Draymond got in shape for the stretch run last season. After the way he looked in the playoffs and now no Durant or Cousins coming back, and Klay out, I don’t see how he’s a fourth-rounder.

My quick analysis of this team: Yes, please! I’m not sure how you pulled this one off but send me a direct message because I would like to try this tactic moving forward. Unless it was a dirty tactic, then don’t send it. (wink). Or maybe the best bet is to try a more competitive league. You’ve advanced past this one.

tomboek
      Participant

Thanks Santino!

LauriMarcannon
    Participant

Hey Santino, here’s my team in our home league. Just a casual one with my college mates.

9Cat-H2H 12T 8th pick

Dame Lillard
    Jrue Holiday
    D’Angelo Russell
    Bam Adebayo
    Brook Lopez
    SGA
    Jon Isaac
    Delon Wright
    Terrence Ross
    Zach Collins
    Bojan Bogdanovic
    Darius Garland
    Nerlens Noel

WW: Davis Bertans

Hope to hear from you soon, man! Good luck this season!

Santino Caccone

Hey man, thanks for sending your team in. You have quite a few big names on here and the popular Bam Bam. It’s a pretty good squad. The strength on the team is with its guard play as it is incredibly guard-heavy. I love the collection of guards that you have and they as a whole should if not will be among the best in your league. You’ll be towards the top of your league standing in threes, assists, steals and ft%. You should be above average in points as well. That gives you a solid base of categories where you’ll need to win points or another cat to get yourself a win.

With that said, there isn’t much big man depth on the team, and that will come back t bite you. Lopez’ ability to shoot threes meshes with your guard, as does Bams passing ability. They’ll play to your strengths. Unfortunately, this team will have a tough time competing in rebounds and blocks. You did get non-bigs who can get blocks, but the lack of them will show as a week wears on. Big men typically have higher fg%’s overall so that could be a tough one as well as will turnovers. With so many guards it’s expected. I do like Collins potential, and he is going to be a popular flier at the end of drafts. Noel can get a few blocks, but he won’t play much as long as Adams is there. I’m sure you can drop him for someone who will help sooner.

I wouldn’t react now unless something great comes along, there’s still so much time until the season starts and lots of things will change. But I would consider moving a guard for a big man, or someone to help balance out your roster. Russell, SGA or Bogdo should get you a nice return from a guard-needy team. It never hurts to send floaters around and test the market. You’re current construction will be good enough to win weeks, but there is still a lot of meat left on the bone in categories you’ll struggle in. Just don’t swing too much if you move guys, keep it balanced.

Keep me updated on what comes along, as well as using all the tools we have to offer! It’s still September, a lot will change.

Christopher Kellett
    Participant

Hey Santino,

I play in a dynasty 14 team 9-cat H2H league and I’d like your advice pre-draft.

I have 6 keepers that I have made considerable moves to get them plus grabbing earlier picks.

They are:

Anthony Davis
    Joel Embiid
    Kyrie Irving
    Clint Capela
    Myles Turner
    Mike Conley

I don’t have a 1st Rounder this season (7th rounder) in the trade to acquire Davis and I’ve already traded my 2nd Rounder for Chris Paul and 4th Rounder for Bojan Bogdanovic. I know I’m pretty top heavy with bigs but I’ve still got three 3rd Rounders, four 4th Rounders and two 5ths to round out all my picks.

Who do you think I should target in those picks to help me round out a winning fantasy team?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Santino Caccone

That’s a talented group of keepers man. I like the strategy of grabbing these elite guys and then rounding out your roster with cheaper, value plays. You’ll be able to take some risks with your picks if there’s someone you really want and want to reach with since you’ll have them as your backbone. Also with multiple picks each round, that makes it easier haha. And yes you definitely have a lot of big men.

Since it’s only mid-September, player perceptions are going to drastically change from now until the season starts. Depending on when you’re draft is, this may be irrelevant information. I’d say to resend when it gets closer, but for now, I’ll do my best to try and guess who’ll be available.

You won’t get a pick until after 112 (8X14), so your market will be lower, but if Teague, Covington, Isaac, Delon Wright, or Rubio should be the first guys you target if they’re still there. They each fit great on your team (and any team.) Milsap may be there too, the old man is getting overlooked.

After them, since your team needs guards I’d look at the best available. I’d say Sataransky, Dragic, Dinwiddie and Rose could be there. I think you can get most in the 4th round along with Augustin or Fultz and Isaiah Thomas. With really no sg, Tyus Jones should play alongside Morant quite a bit. While not the sexiest of names, they’ll be effective in their roles with your team construction.

Outside of pg’s, RJ Barret is a player to get for trade value alone. If he starts off strong, you’ll be getting a ton of offers for the Knicks rookie. I can’t see any of the hyped-up big guys lasting that long so I’d take a look at Collins and Kuzma. Miles Bridges as a 4th rounder. I’d take a Bruce Brown flier as well with a fifth.

There are more names to throw around, but it all depends on how that third round goes. You have a great foundation, so you can go in any direction. Those top five and Millsap should be the top targets unless others fall. If you wind up getting a guard or two, you won’t have to put so much focus on filling those stats out and can go with the best available all-around player. If you don’t you’ll have to fill them in. Even with that said, if there’s too much value to pass up in bigs who fell don’t hesitate, you can always trade them and balance the roster out that way. You seem like an active trader who will have no problem.

gsato001
    Participant

Appreciate Your Great Work!

Dynasty Roto 7th pick, wanted to go young but still compete now…picks in order…made a few mistakes (Murray and Clarke too early)…probably could have taken Dame and waited on Luka but figured he’d be gone by then.

Luka
    Beal
    Mitch Rob
    Jamal Murray
    Thomas Bryant
    CP3
    Gallinari
    Brandon Clarke
    Whiteside
    Huerter
    FVV
    Simons
    PJ Tucker
    MPJ
    Len

Santino Caccone

How many teams are in the league? And don’t beat yourself up man, can’t take it back, so work with what you have and make the best of it. A dynasty is long term, if you want Doncic on your team, don’t fault yourself for taking him. He’s too fun to watch not to want on your team. You probably went a round early on Murray, but he just got paid top dollar to play alongside the Joker for a while. His future is bright.

I think you did a good job in your draft overall, I like the balance of your roster. You wound up with three exciting young guards and CP3 to boot. Simons and FVV are quality bench guys, who have the potential for more should they find themselves more minutes or a larger role.

I love the Mitch Rob and Whiteside pairing. I am higher on Whiteside than most and am expecting him to get the opportunity to do what he does best in an offense that’s going to give him a lot of spacing to clean up the glass. Throw in Thomas Bryant who has big-time upside and Alex Len who’s looking at a big role and it’s no slouch group to the stud guards. Then there’s the well-rounded Gallo and Huerter who should improve. MPJ is a lottery ticket and one who is good to have, especially in a dynasty, for should he hit then watch out. His injury risk is like an old-school WARNING sign from a spam popup, but that upside is mouthwatering.

The team is looking good man, you did a good job of playing now and for the future.

oreilly90
    Participant

Hey team! Mock draft I did recently, please rate 9cat H2H

1. Karl-Anthony Towns (Min – C)
    2. Jimmy Butler (Mia – SG,SF)
    3. Myles Turner (Ind – PF,C)
    4. Draymond Green (GS – PF,C)
    5. Kyle Lowry (Tor – PG)
    6. Tobias Harris (Phi – SF,PF)
    7. Malcolm Brogdon (Ind – PG,SG)
    8. Jonathan Isaac (Orl – SF,PF)
    9. Jeff Teague (Min – PG)
    10. JaVale McGee (LAL – C)
    11. Dwight Powell (Dal – PF,C)
    12. Nicolas Batum (Cha – SG,SF)
    13. Jaylen Brown (Bos – SG,SF)

Was pick 8. Still can’t work out how I got KAT but not complaining. Appreciate any feedback

oreilly90
      Participant

FYI that is my actual team not a mock draft. Don’t know why I wrote that Lol. Also it’s a 10 team league. Thanks in advance

Santino Caccone

I’m not sure why he fell either haha but awesome! He’s going to put up some monster numbers, health provided. I love the Draymond pick and think he’ll turn out to be a steal. KAT’s teammate at the end of the 9th is another great pick should health cooperate. The Batum pick is a nice upside pick as he’ll have more of a feature role without Kemba and if he has anything left in the tank he still has that production versatility to his game.

You had a really solid draft and your team is set up to compete in every category. You can’t ask for much more than that. Your big men are the strength of your team with KAT, Green, and Dray, but you were able to balance them out with good value. I think everyone is excited to see what Brogdon is going to do in his new home and while the name Kyle Lowry may be boring at this stage of his career, he should continue to produce in his now again alpha role.

All of this and I didn’t even get to the wings with Jimmy B going back to his high-usage alpha dog role now that he’s with the Heat. Isaac is a defensive stud in fantasy with his ability to get blocks and steals and even threes. If he gets the time he should get this year, he could push them both closer to 1.5. Brown is a solid pick at the end of drafts as a post-hype guy. It was only last year where many had him pegged as a breakout player entering the year, and he looks like he looks really good on team USA. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the year he puts it all o display, and with the last pick that’s exactly what you’re hoping for. I like this team.

oreilly90
      Participant

Thanks so much Santino! Love your work, this is why Hoop-ball is the best. Keep up the great work!

David
    Participant

10 Man H2H 9 Cat
    S Curry
    Brogdon
    Otto Porter Jr
    Aldridge
    Drummond
    Trae Young
    Larry Nance
    Capela
    Miles Turner
    Mitch Robinson
    J Ingles
    SGA
    K Oubre

David
    Participant

7th Pick

Santino Caccone

Wow. I know it’s a 10 team league and rosters will look good because of that, but you got a ton of value at your picks. While I don’t typically target Aldridge, where it looks like you got him was a steal. Trae late third, one of Mitch or Myles late fifth. Those first nine rounds couldn’t have been much better, you continually got steals in value. I’m not sure how these players kept falling to you and what your other league members were doing during this time. You had a fantastic draft, you’re team looks like a cheat code. Keep up that level of work for the grind of the season and you’ll be in prime position to take home the ship!

David
      Participant

Thanks Santino! Appreciate it!

Christopher Kellett
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Santino, I appreciate it!

aljstyles
    Participant

This is a team that was auto-pick drafted after I did a quick edit of pre-ranks. It’s not a team I would live-draft, but it’s what I ended up with:

jamal murray
    buddy hield
    mikal bridges
    tatum
    vucevic
    dwight powell
    kat
    mitch-rob
    k-looney
    satoransky
    beverley
    I.T.
    pj tucker off waivers
    wendall carter -IL

Can a team like this win a league?

Santino Caccone

Short answer: Maybe, but it’s going to take a lot of work. It’s certainly not the best of rosters.

For not picking yourself, the computer did pretty well to start you off. With KAT, Vooch, and Mitch ROb leading the way you’re big men are in great shape. Looney, Powell, and Carter round out the teams’ strength which gives you a solid floor for the categories that favor big men.

The rest of your roster wasn’t too kind to you. While Murray is good, I’d ideally want him as my second guard, or at least have a few other guards right around his value. The computer didn’t do that for ya. Tatum should get his career back on track with a big bounceback this year, and Hield is a good player, though I shy away from guys who don’t do much outside score and hit threes in fantasy, especially in the middle rounds. Sataransky was a nice value pick, and I.T is the definition of a wildcard. If he shows an inkling that he can recapture that magic before his injury, he’ll be a difference-maker.

All in all, I can’t see you win with this team, but I’d never count anyone out this early. As long as you can scour the wire and find some gems, and make a few trades there’s always a chance. Injuries happen every year and waiver wire diamonds in the rough are discovered. With some luck and determination, you can put up a fight.

Santino Caccone

I don’t know how I missed this before, but love the username! I’m a big fan myself

nick_go
    Participant

14 team H2H 9 cat competitive league:
    7th pick

Dame
    Booker
    John Collins
    Clint Capela
    Brook Lopez
    Julius Randle
    Gordon Hayward
    Delon Wright
    Brandon Clarke
    Satoransky
    Hachimura
    OG Anunoby

Santino Caccone

I like the balance you have throughout the roster with those two big-time guards and a few quality big men. The strength of the team is in scoring and three-point shooting. It’s not something I tend to target, but you were able to supplement the rest of the categories somewhat. In a 14 man league, the player pool runs dry quicker, but I like how you were able to get Hayward and Hachimura so late. Even OG could prove to be a great last pick investment.

There are a few guys who had a lot of change around them this offseason like Wright and Randle, and most likely Sataransky going to new homes and becoming starters, Hayward had Kyrie and Horford replaced by Kemba and Kanter. With another year removed from the gruesome leg injury and added responsibilities, he could return to the well-rounded stats he formerly put up. With the Suns finally getting a competent NBA-caliber PG to play with Booker, I expect big things for the almost 23-year-old. I’m a fan of Collins, and I look forward to him making another leap in his third season, but his lack of defensive stats thus far in his career makes it hard for me to justify taking him where you took him. He’ll need to improve there to be worth a 3rd round selection in fantasy. For me, Randle is in a similar boat. He’s a talented guy and both near 20/10 guys who shoot at an efficient clip and can potentially get themselves over a 3 per game are going to provide value, but the lack of defensive stats stands out in the fantasy realm.

While I like the talent on this roster a lot, it’s not one that I would personally target. I personally put a lot of emphasis on the harder to come by defensive stats than most. While that’s the way I do it, it doesn’t mean your way is wrong, just not my prerogative. There is enough talent to make a playoff push and then go from there. One plus about having name value in players to keep in mind is that they’re usually easier to trade if you make them available.

Bucketts
    Participant

Hi Santino, great job so far. This was a slow draft 14 team H2H 9Cat league. The cool thing about it was people from Australia, Hong Kong, Spain and one from Canada and 9 from USA and these guys know what they are doing which made the draft even tougher. There were 14 rounds

Here is my team and in order of my selections

Curry
    Westbrook
    JJJ
    Tobias
    Jamal Murray
    Marvin Bagley
    DeAndra Jordan
    T Ross
    RJ Barrett
    Goran Dragic
    Herro
    Robert Williams
    Dwight Howard
    Bobby Portis

Santino Caccone

That’s awesome man! Are these friends you’ve known for a while that have traveled, or people you haven’t met before? I lived abroad in China for a few years and played fantasy during the time, it’s a great way to stay in touch with friends back home. I’m interested in this league already and haven’t even got to the team yet!

Clearly, the strength of the team is in its point guards, and I can get behind that. Those are a great four to have in such a deep draft. They’ll keep you near the top in assists, steals, threes, while scoring a lot of points. Turnovers and Westbrooks shooting woes will be a drag, but the rest are fine. He shouldn’t be that bad of a free throw shooter again, and that’ll be another target category.

JJJ is a fantastic pick to lead the bigs. I love me some PF/C’s who can block shots and get steals at a high clip. For how I like my teams, he’s a prime guy to have. Jordan showed last year that even for a guy who has no offensive game and was in a reduced role with a bad supporting cast, that he can still get close to his usual numbers. He’ll be in a similar playing time situation, but the supporting cast is a plus. Howard is a nice flyer at this point as he could revitalize himself back in L.A playing with Bron and AD, and if he doesn’t it’s won’t kill you. Bagley has nasty skills, but his playing time is a huge question mark with what the Kings did this summer. His talent should win out, but to what extent? Ideally, though, this team can use another big or two to even things out.

This team is a good overall and I’d expect it to make a solid playoff run with the right moves and players hitting, assuming health cooperates. I do have to throw in Barrett somewhere in here, he’ll be a fun name to have as we hope for the Knicks to be decent at basketball again. Big men can fall into value with injuries in front of them, and I’d pay attention to that on the waiver wire throughout the season. I’m sure your league mates will as well. It might come down to timezones for players haha. This is a fun leage!

Bucketts
      Participant

Thanks Santino for the review. Actually, i know four of the guys in this league and the guy in Hong Kong we went to school together and now have a great job there. We started with 10 teams four years ago and I will say we have to give couple of the guys wives credit for referring to us couple of the guys who are solid and now we are at 14 teams. We had two trades before the draft and both were trades of first round picks (I know these guys dont play around lol) We did this slow draft on fantrax and i had everyone joined the Slack app to communicate since time zones are an issue and it’s a great app…

I must say the guys overseas have the advantage at times with wavier wire LOL.

I was thinking is it a good idea to go after Dedmon if I have Bagley? Since they have a great playoff schedule anyways or just look for a big off the wire during the season.

If anyone ever drop out, I will definitely like to invite you!

Thanks

Santino Caccone

That sounds fantastic! I recommend slack as well it’s very easy to use and convenient. I like how it’s a tight-knit community and even the wives got involved on the recruiting circuit. It’ll depend on the day and time of news for the wire lol.

If you were to drop someone it’d be among the last four picks. Dedmon was good last year in his role, but not someone I’d target this year. The playoffs are a long ways away and he’s sure to be added/dropped a lot as the Kings frontcourt is the biggest logjam in the league. You didn’t mention him, but Richaun Holmes is a better basketball player than Dedmon and that alone will cut into his value. I’d wait a bit and see what happens in the preseason. Always scour the wire as more information rolls in. There’s sure to be some bigs who emerge soon enough.

Vegemite Toast
    Participant

10tm roto mock. Dont go into too much detail, it’s a Mock…

Still interested to know high level thoughts on this squad drafting from the middle.

Nikola Jokic
    Jimmy Butler
    Mtich Robinson
    Draymond Green
    Buddy Hield
    CJ McCollum
    M.Gasol
    Shai G.A.
    Enes Kanter
    Gary Harris
    Serge Ibaka
    Bogdan Bogdanovic
    Pat Beverley

Santino Caccone

This is a quality mock. I love the Mitch and Green pairing in rounds 3 & 4. Gasol in the 7th is a tremendous value. He can still play at a high level. Kanter and Ibaka are nice big men to grab so late. I’d shoot for another PG, but Jokic helps out a lot, and I like the overall level of balance to the team. This would be a good team to take in a real draft, and that’s what you hope for. Continue to experiment with different players in mocks and see if you like any other rosters better.

Vegemite Toast
      Participant

Took a different tack with a separate (auction) mock. My thoughts are it is a fairly well rounded team with real strengths in percents, 3pm and points. A bit weak on the defensive stats.

KAT
      Lillard (yep, not much cash left…)
      Otto Porter
      Mike Conley
      Blake Griffin ($2, I couldn’t help it!)
      LeMarcus Aldridge
      CJ McCollum
      Tobias Harris
      Bam Adebayo
      Jonas Valenciunas
      Shai Gilgeous
      Marc Gasol
      Ricky Rubio

annakarina
    Participant

Just finished a 14 team 9-cat dynasty, first three years paid in advance. One of the rules is that we must always have a rookie on our rosters.

Here’s my current team. I’ll be sliding KD and Klay into IL spots and digging through the wire for two more players.

3 Karl Anthony-Towns (MIN) C
    26 Kemba Walker (BOS) PG
    31 Russell Westbrook (HOU) PG
    54 Victor Oladipo (IND) PG/SG
    59 Kevin Durant (BKN) SF/PF
    82 Brook Lopez (MIL) C
    86 Klay Thompson (GS) SG/SF
    87 Jarrett Culver (MIN) SF
    110 T.J. Warren (IND) SF/PF
    138 Willie Cauley-Stein (GS) PF/C
    143 Michael Porter Jr. (DEN) SF
    166 Paul Millsap (DEN) PF/C
    171 Dennis Schroder (OKC) PG
    194 Kent Bazemore (POR) SG/SF
    199 Derrick Jones Jr. (MIA) SF
    222 Richaun Holmes (SAC) PF/C

Thanks!

Santino Caccone

Happy to see more women on the forums doing fantasy!! Also, the detail that you put in your post is tremendous and much appreciated! This league doesn’t mess around; three years paid in full and the interesting rookie wrinkle.

This team has a lot of potential in the long run. You took a few injured guys, but honestly, I like how you said “screw it” and took them all; KD, Klay, and Dipo. I mean these are studs when they are healthy, and with an eye towards the future, if everything goes according to plan, you’ll have an impressive roster.

As of right now, it’s pretty tough to compete in a 14 man league when 3 of your top 7 picks are looking at playing roughly half a year or less this season. If you can stay afloat when a few of those reinforcements come around, that could all change, even without KD.

Your guards are fantastic and easily the engine that’ll run this team when it’s at peak capacity. You’ll need a few more bigs to pair with Towns, but grabbing Millsap at 166 is a steal. I’ve mentioned him a few times on here, and it’s because of that reason. He may be unsexy and old, but he can still play basketball, and he’s turning into natural value at this point with how far he’s been falling in some drafts. I’m excited to see Porter finally play (and stay healthy) as that guy oozes talent. Whether he can show it or not is another story. I’m curious if your league counts him as a Rookie or not because he technically is unless you do it by drafted year.

I do enjoy this team. I said in an earlier post that I don’t like to play for the future, but KD at 59 is too hard to pass up. And if you’re going to have him and Dipo by round 5, might as well throw in Klay on your team also a few rounds later. Can’t fault that strategy. They have all been proven All-Stars in this league, at the least for KD and Klay, so you know the talent they possess if they can overcome significant injuries. Klay is the safest bet as we see more and more people having success after ACL surgery.

I think the future of this team is bright and hopefully, you can continue making great roster moves throughout the year, starting with those two open spots. Also, I have to mention the Holmes pick for the big guy; Underrated asset who is going to sneakily play more than people realize and help you in defensive stats, rebs, and fg%. You can tell that you’ve been a HoopBall faithful for a bit with that last pick!

alowry16
    Participant

Hello!

This is my 2nd year, Dynasty 8 cat league, I won the league last year, just looking for any holes that I could shore up, and if I should do anything about Paul George….

Karl-Anthony Towns
    Paul George
    Jrue Holiday
    Luka Doncic
    Rudy Gobert
    Mitch Robinson
    Otto Porter Jr
    Clint Capela
    Thomas Bryant
    Josh Richardson
    Jonathan Isaac
    Miles Bridges
    Caris LeVert
    Derrick White
    Jeff Teague
    Dwight Powell
    Bogdan Bogdanovic
    Tomas Satoransky
    Will Barton

As you can see I’m in a fairly win-now mode, but trying to keep my guys relatively young while doing so!

Santino Caccone

Hello!

This is my 2nd year, Dynasty 8 cat league, I won the league last year, just looking for any holes that I could shore up, and if I should do anything about Paul George….

Karl-Anthony Towns, Gobert, Mitch, Capella, Bryant, Powell
    Paul George, Porter, J Rich, Isaac, Bridges, Bogdo, Barton
    Jrue, Doncic, Teague, Sataransky, White, LeVert

As you can see I’m in a fairly win-now mode, but trying to keep my guys relatively young while doing so

Congrats on winning last year! Let’s keep the good times rolling! I love the deep rosters btw.
    Holy hell man, how many teams are in this league? This is an insanely deep and talented roster. I’m assuming you had to get Mitch, White, Isaac, and Bryant on waivers last year? Quite literally, there are no holes on this team. You have far too many studs for there to be. I guess if I had to buckle down I’d say you can use an additional guard, but really the team is loaded. You should be in championship contention again with good fortune and health.

For George, what are your options and what do you want to do with him? If his shoulders are healed and he looks good in the preseason, outside of probable loas management games, he’s one of the best players in the league. If you want to trade him for those reasons I could understand, but unless you’re getting top value for him it’s a move you’ll be regretting. I for one love to trade, so I’d still guage his market or others you want to move, but with the team you have, you don’t need to make any rash decisions.

image6435
    Participant

Hi Guy,

This is my 2nd year with Fantasy, please rate my following 9CAT H2H 12-TEAM (Yahoo Pro League):

I was 9th pick (not a good position if you ask me) but was able to draft Joker while managers ahead me picked up Embiid, LBJ and Kawhi.

It’s hard to develop a punt strategy around Joker since he really doesn’t hurt you anywhere (maybe TOs) so I just picked the most valuable/upside worthy players and slightly tanking block.

Mike Conley
    Eric Bledsoe
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    Derrick White
    Goran Dragic

Robert Covington
    Gordon Hayward
    Kelly Olynyk
    Miles Bridges
    Nicolas Batum

Nikola Jokic
    Andre Drummond
    Jakob Poeltl

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.