What do you think of this build / draft strategy?

Home Forums The Hoop Ball Fantasy Hoops Forum What do you think of this build / draft strategy?

• Author

elkutch23
    Participant

In a 9 cat H2H league with number 2 pick:

Target Steph, A-Fox, Mitch-Rob as a foundation to attack traditional PG stats and blocks while lightly punting rebounds.

I’ve never really thought much about “builds” that much before this year, I usually see how my team performs for 1-2 months before deciding whether to start adjusting for balance or punt a cat or two.

Am I overthinking this?

Oreilly90
    Participant

Try be open minded, trying to predict who will be available can throw you when they get picked up. Steph likely to be there though, then take the best player available the following 2 picks, then build from there would be my advice. But this is your team so do what you want!

Vishal
    Participant

Fox and mitchell both weak picks at 23/26. Will be better PGs and bigs at boths spots

Vishal
    Participant

I am assuming a 12 team league

elkutch23
    Participant

Correct, 12 team league. Really hard for me to project who’s gonna be there at 23/26. I’m trying to talk myself into just drafting AD/Harden depending on which is available and seeing where the chips land when my next two picks are up, but I’m trying to take a build-specific approach this year. Appreciate the replies everyone.

annakarina
    Participant

I always do my own pre-draft rankings loosely based on ADP but more aligned with my preferences. It helps me grab the guys I really want without having to panic if one of my targets gets sniped.

I don’t think targeting specific players for the first few rounds has ever actually worked out as desired. You’ll inevitably miss out on one of your guys, it’s better to have a handful of guys you’d be happy with.

That said, I do really like the idea of going guard heavy the first three rounds then going after bigs and defensive forwards rounds 4-6 this year.

Dan Besbris
    Keymaster

I think you might be overthinking build a tiny bit. Get those best players and worry about PGs after a few rounds if you have to…

elkutch23
    Participant

10-4 everybody, appreciate all the replies!

davidjk2000

How would you define, build?

elkutch23
    Participant

I guess I would define build as targeting specific categories very heavily at the expense of others. I guess you can just call that punting the non-targeted categories, but I suppose everything is on a type of spectrum.

jisquick
    Participant

Take best available rounds 3-4 and then start to “punt”. If a “punt” type guy makes sense value wise then pounce as the tie breaker between closely ranked players.

davidjk2000

I’ve been finding that you almost have to punt something. It seems to be pretty impossible to dominate in all categories.

Coach

I don’t start looking at position until round 5. My rule of thumb is that you use your top 4 picks to take the best player available. That always seems to work in the long run!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.